Here is the meal I made with Seitan, a vegan source of protein and very easy to make. I chopped it into cubes and sautéed it with braised white cabbage and a spoonful of Apple, apricot and ginger chutney. I used the stock left over from making the Seitan to make organic wholewheat cous cous and a helping of organic kale which is a source of calcium and iron.
To make the Seitan
- 2 cups of Suma wheat gluten flour
- Half a cup of Marigold Engevita yeast flakes (with added B12)
- 1 teaspoon of garlic flakes (or to taste)
- Marigold bouillon (enough to make 5 cups)
- 2 tablespoons of soya sauce
- Half an onion
- Add the Suma wheat gluten flour to the Marigold Engevita yeast flakes and a teaspoon of garlic flakes (or to taste).
- Make 5 cups of Marigold bouillon and add 2 tablespoons of soya sauce.
- Add one cup of the bouillon mix to the wheat gluten mix and knead in the bowl for about 3 minutes.
- Divide into two and place them in the rest of the bouillon mix with half a chopped onion
- Add more water to the bouillon mix if the Seitan is not fully immersed.
- Bring to a simmer and allow to cook for 30 mins.
- Cool in the liquid until ready to use.
All the above ingredients are available from planetwise and the organic kale, white cabbage and onion came from Gwen’s organic growers in Nafferton.